The hook (hook, fishing hook or angle) is an old device used to catch fish. It is tied to a line and primed and when a fish eats the bat. It also eats the hook. The hook goes through the fish in the mouth and the fish is caught.
The oldest fishing hook found so far is in the Jermaine cave in East Timor, Czechoslovakia and it had a shell material. The first hooks were also found in Palestine, which are about 9,000 years old.
Other previous hooks were of wood, animal and human bone, horn, shells, stone, bronze, iron, and even composite materials to combine the positive properties of each material.
Modern steel hooks first appeared in the 17th century, although some people used wood, for example, to make hooks until the 1950s. Modern hooks are of high carbon steel, alloy steel with vanadium or stainless steel.
When made, protective materials cover the exterior of the hook, which is resistant to corrosion.
Parts Of A Fishing Hook
The hooks are relatively small but still have their parts.
- “Tip” is the sharp part of the hook that penetrates the meat of the fish.
- “Burr” or death is part of the point, a pointed part that goes in the opposite direction to the point and prevents the fish from getting off the hook.
- “Eye” is on the other end of the hook and is a loop for tying a line to a hook.
- “Curve” is a curved part of the hook while “shank” is the straight part.
- “Opening” is a distance between the point and the spike.
Fishing Hooks Division
Bait hooks are baits, hooks are for artificial flies and decoys are part of decoys. Within these three groups with division, there are a thousand ways according to the type of fish for which they use these accessories. The size of the fish, the shape of the hook, the manufacturer and other reasons.
We will mention the way in which fishing hooks can be distinguished from each other:
- The hooks single, double and triple have so many hooks. All have one eye and the single and double hooks are from a single piece of wire. The triple hook has a hook added to a double hook. Double and triple hooks are there in the bait.
- The hooks can have different points and spikes. The hooks without tongues are for “catch and release” fishing methods. The length of the point determines how far the fish will penetrate the fish.
Some hooks have no eyes but a flat part where the eye should be. Which prevents the line from sliding ( A shovel tip). Others have turned to down and lank eyes.